Thursday, October 10, 2013

We'll Work Till Jesus Comes


I recently gave a sermon on “Radical Giving to the Father” and have been thinking about one of my closing statements.  "Do we give till it hurts?"
Makes me think about how we do give. Is it sacrificial? Maybe it's of ourselves; our time and talent. We're all called to live for Christ, to be a living sacrifice. We’re to have a daily relationship with Him, to glorify and honor Him with our life and to shine the light of Christ for all to see. We're to seek the lost and share the Gospel at all times. Now that's just for the ones calling themselves "Christians" and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.
But what about the followers of Christ that have callings/ministries as well?
Pastors, ministers, deacons, worship leaders & teachers.
Yeah I've named the main ones but let's include the choir, the ones that play instruments, ushers, the ones coordinating mission projects/offerings, work the nursery, fix the refreshments, clean the church, visit the nursing homes, feed and clothe the needy. There are plenty of callings/ministries out there where we have an opportunity to serve our Creator.
During the revival I met an older lady that gathered plastic grocery bags and would make roll up sleeping mats for the homeless. I had an opportunity to see one of her mats she made. She seemed very experienced with it and excited about sharing her ministry but I imagine it was a lot of hard work and at times I'm sure her hands had to hurt from all the weaving and knots.

As a student minister I know that there will be hard times, there will be times where you feel like your ministry is overwhelming and the pressure will build. I believe sometimes we hear the voice of the great deceiver telling us that it's too much, that if it's too overwhelming, just quit; but hearing those words repeated by people brings me to the cross and what Christ endured.

Luke 22 Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives
39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41 He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.


Let me point out a few things on this piece of scripture.
1)      "Jesus went out as usual" - Life is full of ups and downs, so why do we just sometimes go to Him during the downs and throw out quick praises during the ups? Follow his example and make it a pattern to seek God daily no matter what's going on.
2)      "Pray that you will not fall into temptation" - He knew that they were about to get tempted and it was about to get real. Everyday we're tempted in our own ways and struggles. We need to pray for the strength to not fall into those temptations; to be able to stand for Him no matter what.
3)      "about a stone's throw beyond them," - He set the example by showing them and like a stone's throw away, He is always there.
4)      "not my will, but yours" - Yeah sometimes it will hurt to follow, to serve, to minister, to be a daily sacrifice. But thank God, Jesus Christ prayed for the Father's will.
5)      "strengthened him" - God knows when we need that extra boost to keep on going. Are we seeking Him daily to get it? Are we surrendering to His will for our life?
6)      "And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." - When have we ever prayed so hard that we started to sweat? Honestly, I never have. But it also makes me think of giving till it hurts. We break a sweat in our ministry and we think we need a break. Really!? Christ carried that cross and didn't ask to pull over at a rest stop. I'm sure the cross was awkward, overwhelming and painful. I'm sure as the weight of cross pressed on him physically, so did the eyes of those around him and to top all that, the sins of the world were laid on his back.

1 Corinthians 10:13
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.


Thanks be to God that Jesus Christ could handle the cross.
As followers of Christ I believe we can handle more than we carry. 

I think when the pressure gets put on us we bail way to fast.
We push it away and tell God we can't handle it instead of seeking rest in Him.
Church when did we become the ones that know what we can and can't handle?
Set your eyes on God, Run the race with endurance and Work Till Jesus Comes.

O land of rest, for thee I sigh!
When will the moment come
When I shall lay my armor by
And dwell in peace at home?
We'll work till Jesus comes,
We'll work till Jesus comes,
We'll work till Jesus comes,
And we'll be gathered home.
To Jesus Christ I fled for rest;
He bade me cease to roam,
And lean for comfort on His breast
Till He conduct me home.
We'll work till Jesus comes,
We'll work till Jesus comes,
We'll work till Jesus comes,
I sought at once my Savior's side;
No more my steps shall roam.
With Him I'll brave death's chilling tide
And reach my heavenly home.



No comments: